ISO 50001 Standard for Energy Management
ISO 50001:2011 is the new standard for Energy Management Systems. It enables achieving continuous improvement of energy performance in an organization
Organizations, operations, and locations that consume large amounts of energy will benefit from better planning and management of their energy resources. As energy becomes more expensive, and organizations work to maintain costs, an energy management system (EnMS) will benefit those that invest early. Coupled with goals for lower GHG emissions, renewable energy use, and integration with ISO 14001, adopters will also make considerable improvements in sustainability and environmental impact.
ISO 50001 will integrate easily with a business' other management systems, such as quality (ISO 9001) and environmental (ISO 14001). It utilizes the same Plan-Do-Check-Act model that has made other standards successful.
Benefits of ISO 500001
- Improve the return on investment of energy-consuming assets
- Establish a basis for measuring and managing energy-use and GHG emissions
- Facilitate communications and planning for the improved use of energy resources
- Create a framework for promoting and implementing best practices
- Build a financial model for investing in new, energy efficient, low GHG emitting technologies
- Align energy use with other management system objectives, such as quality, environmental, and financial
- Engage the entire organization in better energy use and lower GHG emissions
- Meet government and industry contractual requirements for efficient use of energy
- Capture competitive advantage in the marketplace